Optics and Media Access

Redbridge Waltham Forest and West Essex Guardian

Home

 

 

Topical articles in Redbridge Waltham Forest and West Essex Guardian

Local History Articles

Blue Plaque scheme

In Walthamstow a plaque under the arches at the Walthamstow Marsh Railway viaduct, marks the spot where Alliott Verdon Roe (1887-1958) constructed his Avro No. 1 triplane in which he made the first all-British powered air travel. And the borough likewise has a blue plaque outside a residential property in Carnarvon Road in Walthamstow which was as soon as home to Solomon Plaatje (1876-1932) a black South African author and advocate for African rights. A spokesperson for English Heritage insisted that its scheme was not being axed, adding: "Our focus over the next 2 years will be to reduce a backlog of plaques that have actually currently been agreed and to lay the foundations for a long-lasting future that lowers the expense to the tax payer.".

The eastward growth of television's tentacles.
The eastward growth of the Tube's tentacles.
Central Line Tube trains at Leyton.
The Tube is 150 years old this month. It took many more years after the 1860s for its tentacles to reach east London and Essex.

The first stretch of television, in between Paddington and Farringdon, near the city of London, opened in January 1863.

Despite preliminary questions and scepticism, the world-first grand experiment quickly proved incredibly preferred with the general public, and it was not long till the service expanded.

The wait for a Tube train in spots like Waltham Forest and Redbridge was not precisely rapid.
After much wrangling over the course and funding, the Central Line finally opened in 1900 - as well as then it only ran between Bank and Shepherd's Bush.

The following years saw sneaking extensions to the course as need increased.
As the line dispersed further it acquired and lost stops, including the long-since closed Wood Lane and British Museum stations.

Commuters 'out east' were given hope of simpler travel when the ambitious New Works Programme started on the line in 1935.

However delays caused by the outbreak of World War Two implied none of the brand-new stations correctly opened till the late 1940s.

With a demand for shelter from the Blitz, plenty of use for the tunnels and stations was quickly discovered, even if there were no trains running.
Many notably, the 2.5 mile stretch between Leytonstone and Gants Hill was utilized as a huge underground factory making airplane parts for three years throughout the conflict.

After the war work remained to extend the line, although much of the track from Woodford onwards was adjusted from pre-existing overground railway services.

In 1957 electric trains finally began running in between Epping and Ongar-- changing the old steam shuttle service-- although diminishing traveler numbers resulted in the area's closure in 1994.

Nonetheles, today the Central Line still holds the distinction of being the longest on the Underground network, extending 46 miles and serving 49 stations.

On the other hand, the Victoria Line, linking Walthamstow, with Picadilly Circus in the West End of London and Brixton in the south, runs a fairly modest 13 miles.

First proposed in the 1940s, the line was designed to help reduce congestion in main London.

Preliminary propositions included terminating the line at Wood Street in Walthamstow, and even developing a link with South Woodford, although these ideas were later on abandoned.

But construction work did not start till 1962, generally due to delays in protecting funding.
The first area of the line in between Walthamstow and Highbury and Islington opened in 1968, with the rest of the line was finished in stages up to 1971.

Today the Tube is more prominent than ever before, with an estimated 1,107 million people using it last year alone.