Optics and Media Access

Loughton Station

Home

 

 

Train in Loughton Station going southThe original station at Loughton levelled by the Eastern Counties Railway in August 1856 as the northern terminus of the railway from main London, however was moved five hundred metres to its existing location ten years later on when the line was extended to Ongar. The station was reconstructed in 1940 in readiness for its hookup to the Underground network, which was put off till November 1948 by the Second World War. The station is notable for its architecture and features an enforcing square brick station building dominated by a large arched window, whilst the platforms include classy 'gull-winged' canopies and have preserved their distinct wooden benches, which include the station roundel as the seat back. The name Loughton stems from the Anglo-Saxon word Luhingtun and implies 'Luha's farm'.

Adjacent stations on the Central Line are Debden, Theydon Bois and Epping going north and Buckhurst Hill and Woodford going south. Extended eastwards to Epping, when London Transport took over the line from BR in 1949

Loughton is a town and civil parish in the Epping Forest district of Essex. It is found in between 11 and 13 miles (21 km) north eastern of Charing Cross in London, south of the M25 and west of the M11 motorway and has borders with Chingford (for Queen Elizabeth's Hunting Lodge), Waltham Abbey, Theydon Bois, Chigwell and Buckhurst Hill. Loughton includes 3 conservation areas and there are 56 listed structures in the town, together with a further 50 locally detailed.
The parish of Loughton covers an area of about 3,724 acres (15 km2), of which over 1,300 acres (5 km2) are part of Epping Forest. At the time of the 2001 census Loughton had a population of 30,340.Loughton Station


The earliest framework in Loughton is Loughton Camp, an Iron Age earth fort in Epping Forest dating from around 500 BC. The initial references to the site of modern-day Loughton date from the Anglo-Saxon period when it was understood as Lukintune (" the ranch of Luhha").
The arrival of the railway stimulated on the town's advancement. The railway first pertained to Loughton in 1856 when the Eastern Counties Railway, (later the Great Eastern Railway), opened a branch line via Woodford. In 1948 the line was electrified and moved to London Transport to become part of the Central Line on the London Underground. The arrival of the railways also offered site visitors from London with a practical methods of reaching Epping Forest and thus changing it into the "East Enders' Playground". The Ragged School Union started arranging sees to the forest for celebrations of bad East End kids in 1891 paid for by the Pearsons Fresh Air Fund. Loughton artist Octavius Dixie Deacon portrayed lots of scenes of the town consisting of a few of its residents throughout the late Victorian period.
As the Great Eastern Railway Company did not offer workers's fares, the town's development was of a middle-class character. Much of the housing in Loughton was built in the Victorian and Edwardian ages, with considerable development in the 1930s. Loughton was a trendy location for creative and clinical residents in Victorian and Edwardian times, and a lot of popular homeowners were renowned socialists, nonconformists, and social reformers. Debden in the north-east is a post-war advancement being one of the London County Council's country estates. Constructed with the specific function of co-locating industrial, retail and domestic homes to assist in supported re-location of London households had an effect on by war damages within the Capital.
Located within Debden's industrial estate is the former printing works of the Bank of England; in 1993 the printing works were taken over by De La Rue on their gaining the agreement to print the banknotes. The headquarters of greeting card company Clinton Cards and building firm Higgins Group are likewise found within the Debden Industrial estate. In 2008, electronic devices firm Amstrad announced their objective to relocate the group's head office to Loughton from Brentwood. They relocated to a website in Langston Road; in 2012, their home business Amsprop was transforming a head office structure beside the Town Council offices in Rectory Lane. Amstrad was produced by Lord Alan Sugar who stays in the location.
In 2002 Loughton included in the ITV1 program Essex Wives, a documentary series about the lives of some of the nouveau riche who have actually resided in the Essex satellite towns of London since the 1980s. Journalists' usage of the term "golden triangle" to describe the towns of Loughton, Buckhurst Hill and Chigwell for their tendency to attract affluent footballers, soap-opera actors and TV stars as homeowners derives from this. The town has been utilized as a backdrop in other television collection, especially The Only Way is Essex, and 2 stores in the High Rd are connected with members of its actors.
Loughton is served by both Loughton tube station and, additional north-east, Debden tube station, both on the Central Line of the London Underground. The current Loughton station was opened in 1940, and Debden in 1949, but both the line and stations existed before that; the railway line antedates to 22 August 1856, when the branch from Stratford (for the Stratford City Holiday Inn Hotel) levelled by the Eastern Counties Railway. The railway's 150th anniversary was commemorated by an exhibition and task day at Loughton station on 19 August 2006.
High schools
- Davenant Foundation School
- Debden Park High School
- Roding Valley High School
Significant homeowners
Noteworthy people connected with Loughton (apart from those detailed above) include:.Dick Turpin
- Dick Turpin (1705-- 1739), notorious highwayman, recognized with Epping Forest (his butcher's store was in Buckhurst Hill) and performed many reported robberies in the location throughout the 1730s, occasionally escaping and concealing in the forest in Turpin's Cave.
- Ron Greenwood (1921-- 2006), footballer and supervisor of West Ham United and England, lived in Brooklyn Avenue throughout his time as West Ham supervisor.
- Len Murray (1922-- 2004), later on Baron Murray of Epping Forest, leader of the Trades Union Congress 1973-- 1984, lived for over 50 years in The Crescent and played an energetic role in town life. He is celebrated by the Murray Hall, opened 2007.